Special Events, Programs and More!
In addition to our weekly clubs, classes and programs The Joslyn Center has great special offer s and events!
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS: Open to Everyone!
Morning with the Mayor
First Tuesday of Every Month, 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Happy Birthday Celebration
First Friday of Every Month, 11:00 am
Come join us celebrate the month of Birthdays. Cake provided by Bilhartz Desert Insurance Agency.
Desert Care Network / Health Seminar Series:
Early Heart Attack Care: Knowing the Warning Signs Could Save Your Life
Did you know there are early warning signs, or beginnings, that show before a heart attack? These warning signs are present in over 50% of heart attack patients and can be present four weeks to one hour before cardiac arrest. If the signs are identified, the heart can be treated before damage occurs.
Join Liza Stewart, RN, of Desert Care Network's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program as she discusses early heart attack care. Topics will include warning signs, what to do in an emergency, and how to prepare yourself and your loved ones for heart emergencies.
Wednesday, Oct 10th 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM @ The Joslyn Center RSVP by calling (844) 529-2706 TODAY!
HICAP Roadmap to Medicare
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10th 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM @ The Joslyn Center Call to Register to Attend (800) 434-0222
Finding Medicare difficult to understand? Confused about which plan to choose? Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) can help! This seminar will provide you with answers to make critical decisions about your healthcare direction, and show you ways to maximize your benefits while minimizing your costs.
HICAP a program of Council on Aging
ACTIVE AGING EXPO & FLU SHOT CLINIC
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31ST 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Mark Your Calendars! The largest health fair for seniors in the valley. The Joslyn Center's Annual Active Aging Expo links seniors to resources that encourage a healthy, well-rounded approach towards aging.
PRESENTING SPONSOR: Walgreens will be on-site to provide no cost flu shots.
Arroyo Physical Therapy - Lecture Series:
9/25 Special Nutrition Options for Seniors 11:00 AM
10/2 Fall and Balance Screening 10:30 AM
10/9 Fascial Stretch Therapy DEMO 11:00 AM
10/23 "Got Dizzy?" 11:00 AM
Medicare Open Enrollment Oct 15th - Dec 7th
10/24 & 11/21 HICAP @ The Joslyn Center Call (800) 434-0222 For an Appointment TODAY
VETERAN'S DAY BBQ
Friday, November 9th 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM @ The Joslyn Center
Honor Veteran's Day at The Joslyn Center with a FREE BBQ and enterainment. Help the USO and bring a bag of toiletries or other items on their wish list located on their website at . Below are just a few items needed:
- Personal Care items (travel size men/women)
- Playing cards
- Coloring books (Adult & Children), crayons, colored pencils
SOCIAL SERVICES HELPING HANDS & A CARING HEART - FREE SERVICES
- Free Blood Pressure Screening! Offered Tuesdays 10:00 AM and Thursdays, 9:00 AM in the library. No appointment necessary.
- Free Lending Library! Located off our main lobby- choose from a wide assortment of books, magazines, and videos.
- Free Notary Service! Free forms include Advance Healthcare Directive and Power of Attorney. Notary Service at no charge for Joslyn Members call Myleen Curtain at 760-567-3105.
- Free Medicare HICAP Counseling-Trained volunteer counselors can answer your questions and help you understand your Medicare rights and benefits, including how to appeal denials of coverage; Medicare supplemental insurance (Medigap policies); Medicare Advantage plans; employee and retiree coverage; and long-term care insurance. Appointments are available on Tuesdays or Thursdays for Joslyn Members. Call the front desk to make your appointment - 760-340-3220.
FREE Legal Assistance (Joslyn Center Membership Required)
- Inland Legal Services - ICLS is a nonprofit organization providing legal services to low-income persons residing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. ICLS targets services to seniors in the greatest social or economic need. Legal services are provided by attorneys, or paralegals under the direct supervision of an attorney. Services include advice and counsel, limited action (includes negotiations and preparation of legal documents, including wills and advanced healthcare directives), as well as direct representation before administrative law and civil courts. Legal assistance is provided in areas including housing, family, consumer/civil, public benefits, elder abuse, citizenship clinics, bankruptcies (selected), healthcare access, and domestic violence. ICLS does not handle certain tort cases, i.e. personal injury cases, slip and falls, car accidents, etc. nor do we handle criminal, juvenile, or guardianship matters.
1st Thursday of Every Month - call Rosario Miranda at 951-774-4422 to make an appointment 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
- Attorney Brian Skalar - Bryan Sklar have extensive experience in handling the following matters: Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Elder Abuse, Estate Planning, Probate, Trust and Criminal Defense.
1st Wednesday of Every Month - Call Joslyn Center Front desk 760-340-3220 to make an appointment 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
1st Friday of Every Month - Call Joslyn Center Front desk 760-340-3220 to make an appointment 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Senior Advocates of the Desert
Every month on the first and third Wednesday Call the front desk (760) 340-3220 to make your appointment today.
Many of their clients live alone and have little family and social support. They are not aware of programs they may be eligible for or if they are, they have tried to apply on their own, but have been turned down because of onerous government bureaucracy. As a result, many have just given up. They meet one-on-one with their clients 1st and 3rd Wednesday or every month and assist them in applying for the following government programs:
• Medi-Cal –Medi-Cal fills in the gaps not covered by Medicare. Clients are often unaware of the eligibility criteria for Medi-Cal and therefore never apply, resulting in much greater out of pocket costs for medical care. Some clients are kicked off Medi-Cal improperly and need an advocate to assist them in getting their Medi-Cal reinstated.
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is an income supplement for seniors who have little or on income. Clients are often not aware they are eligible for SSI. We assist clients in the application process and assist those clients on SSI who need assistance when being reevaluated for SSI.
• Medicare –Some clients need assistance with applying for Medicare premium payment programs as well as assistance in understanding their options with respect to traditional Medicare, Medicare supplemental policies or a Medicare Advantage Plan (e.g., Medicare HMO).
• In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) – IHHS provides free in home help to seniors who have Medi-Cal and need help to stay in their home safely. Like Medi-Cal, clients are often unaware of IHSS and need assistance in the application process or once on IHSS need assistance and advocacy when they are not approved for an adequate number of hours of help.
• Veterans Benefits – Clients are often unaware they may be entitled to veterans benefits and need information and assistance in the application process.
• Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) –Some clients suffering from a disability apply for early social security retirement benefits at age 62 instead of applying for SSDI, which would provide a greater income and Medicare insurance.
• Social Security Retirement Benefits – Clients are sometimes faced with unexpected hurdles when applying for Social Security Retirement if they cannot provide the documentation requested by the Social Security Administration.
In addition to the above, Senior Advocates gives information and assistance regarding transportation programs, discount utility programs, subsidized senior housing, landlord tenant issues, garnishment, and collections disputes, among others.
Emergency Financial Assistance
Limited funds are available to qualifying low-income seniors who through no fault of their own find themselves in a crisis. Thanks to generosity of several corporations and foundations, Senior Advocates is able to provide one-time financial assistance in a variety of situations, such as avoiding eviction, emergency home repair, or out of pocket medical expenses.
The program is limited and based on need and available funds only to qualifying low-income seniors. All assistance is offered in the context of meeting with a staff member of Senior Advocates.