Special Events, Programs and More!
In addition to our weekly clubs, classes and programs The Joslyn Center has great special offers and events!
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS: Open to Everyone!
Morning with the Mayor
First Tuesday of Every Month, 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Happy Birthday Celebration
First Friday of Every Month, 11:00 am
Come join us celebrate the month of Birthdays. Cake provided by Bilhartz Desert Insurance Agency.
Your're Invited to an Ice Cream Social!
2nd Tuesday of Every Month, 11:00 am provided by Humana
Join Desert Regional Medical Center for our Free on going health seminars:
Unburden Your Shoulder: Solutions to Shoulder Pain. Do you have should pain caused by arthritis?Is your shoulder hurting from overuse through the years? Join Dr. Sydney Pardino for a discussion of treatment options and opportunities to help continue an active lifestyle. Call 800-491-4990 to RSVP Wednesday, July 12th, 10:00am - 11:00am
Counting Sheep: Ways to Improve Your Sleep. Having trouble sleeping - or staying away? You're not alone. About 50 to 70 million adults in the US have sleep or wakeful related issues. Join Dr. Pedram Navab, a sleep medicine specialist, for a crash course in getting a better night's sleep. Learn about common sleep disorders and treatment options. Call 800-491-4990 to RSVP Wednesday, August 9th, 10:00am - 11:00am
Take Me Out for Some Baseball! Palm Springs Power!
July 14th, Senior Citizen Night!
The Palm Springs POWER is proud to celebrate our distinguished seniors by bringing Senior Night to Palm Springs Stadium on Friday, July 14th. They have reduced their ticket price for the evening to $1 for senior guests and have completely overhauled their music library for the night, playing the top hits from 1952-1962. Included in every program will be a baseball trivia card so you can show off your superior knowledge to the young'uns. We look forward to seeing you there- Stop by the Joslyn Center booth!
August 10th - 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM City of Palm Desert Youth Committee Technology Workshop
Did you get a new cell phone? Need help with your tablet? Have questions about how to use your laptop? Have other technology related questions? Palm Desert Youth Committee members will be at The Joslyn Center to assist you with your technology needs. Bring your working technology and the Youth Committee will do the rest! Please RSVP to the front desk or by calling 760-340-3220.
August 24th - 10 AM to Noon
Free California Phones & Hearing Screening- Special California phones are FREE to eligible Californians. No appointment is necessary for the hearing screening. For more information and an application call 1-800-806-1191. This free service is provided by California Telephone Access Program (CTAP) and Connect Hearing. No appointments, first come - first served.
Computer Classes- Apple Ipad Beginner and Intermediate: IPad classes are taught by Cassandra Beegle of iTT Consulting. Class sizes are limited for optimal learning. Pre-registration is required. Contact Cassandra at 760-537-1728 for upcoming class times and fees.
- Silver Sneaker card holders- Free "Yoga for Health"on Thursday!
Offered on Thursdays only, 8:30-9:15 AM. Please bring your insurance card with you at check in.
- Free Blood Pressure Screening! Offered Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 AM in the library. No appointment necessary.
- Free Editorial Services! Annabelle Townson, author, educator and editor, offers one-on-one service to Joslyn members who have a current unpublished manuscript. Call for a one hour appointment at the Joslyn Center to review your writing goals, including an initial discussion of your manuscript -760-360-0316.
- Free Lending Library! Located off our main lobby- choose from a wide assortment of books, magazines, and videos.
- Free Notary Service! Free forms include Advance Healthcare Directive and Power of Attorney. Notary Service at no charge for Joslyn Members call Myleen Curtain at 760-567-3105.
- Free Medicare HICAP Counseling-Trained volunteer counselors can answer your questions and help you understand your Medicare rights and benefits, including how to appeal denials of coverage; Medicare supplemental insurance (Medigap policies); Medicare Advantage plans; employee and retiree coverage; and long-term care insurance. Appointments are available on Tuesdays or Thursdays for Joslyn Members. Call the front desk to make your appointment - 760-340-3220.
- ACBL Sanctioned Bridge- Something Different...Join the team for ACBL sanctioned, duplicate bridge with a country club flair! Offered at the center on Mondays and Thursdays with check in starting at 12:00 pm and game play beginning at 12:30 pm. All players must call reserve their space as there is limited seating. Call BJ Moses at 760-933-8830 or email to email@example.com . All players must be Joslyn Center members.
- Casino Style Bingo - Mondays 12:30 PM to 3:00 PM. $15 Buy-In. The more people who play, the larger the cash payouts. Drinks and popcorn are provided. The Ice Cream Social is provided by Senior Advocates of the Desert, Desert Oasis Healthcare Medial Group, and SCAN Health Plans.
- Beginning Tai Chi & Longevity Stick- Looking for a great way to work on your balance and stress relief? Try Tai Chi! Instructor Dixie Lee Lohoff offers a beginners level Tai Chi class each Wednesday morning at 10:00 am. Tai Chi is recommended by many doctors. Longevity is done with a stick, your height and exercises created for the entire body - this method was introduced by Master Mai Bac Dau, 100 years old and still teaching in Orange County along with many members of his family. Tai Chi's qualities are balance, deep breathing, and stress relief. See Dixie- first lesson is free!
Interested in new Activities or Classes? Sign Up Now for Interest List for Fall Classes or call Front Desk 760-340-3220
- Dance For Parkinsons - a 45 minute class encompassing movement and music for people with neuromuscular disease.
- Mat Pilates for "Sensitive Seniors" - Pilates provides a fantastic opportunity to strengthen the body to levels far beyond previous levels of wellness. Participants should be willing to work on a floor mat. Training will be provided in getting down safely and getting back up without strain or pain.