Special Events, Programs and More!
In addition to our weekly clubs, classes and programs The Joslyn Center has great special offers and events!
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS: Open to Everyone!
Morning with the Mayor
First Tuesday of Every Month, 9:00am - 10:30am
Happy Birthday Celebration
First Friday of Every Month, 11:00am
Come join us celebrate the month of Birthdays. Cake provided by Bilhartz Desert Insurance Agency.
Join Desert Regional Medical Center for our Free on going health seminars:
10 Steps to Preventing Falls: How to Avoid Hip, Knee and Foot Injuries Have you ever slipped and fallen? It sounds like a trick question - because we've all fallen at one time or another. But as we age, falls can become more dangerous. Every year,1.6 million Americans go to the emergency room for fall-related injuries. In fact, for older adults, falls are the number one cause of hospital admissions for trauma, the number one cause of fractures, and the number one cause of injury deaths. But there are ways to avoid falls. Join Dr. Todd Swenning, Orthopedic Fracture Specialist, for an exciting presentation aimed at helping you avoid hip, knee and foot injuries. Call 800-491-4990 to RSVP Wednesday, April 12th, 10:00am - 11:00am
EMPOWERED PLANNING SPEAKER SERIES: Presenting Sponsor: The Auen Foundation
Event Sponsors: The Joslyn Center, Eisenhower Medical Center, Vista Cove at Rancho Mirage and Alzheimer's Association.
Promoting Wellness Through Exercise and Preventive Screenings Danielle Meglio, will begin with a presentation on health and wellness. After her talk, there will be several stations where attendees will have the opportunity to have their flexibility, balance, grip, lower extremity power, BMI and blood pressure assessed.
Upon leaving the session attendees will have their results from the staff about their status and recommendations for future wellness plans. These recommendations may be taken to your physician to discuss any further necessary activities, services and referrals to access resources at Eisenhower Medical Center. Reservations are required. Call 760-324-4604 to RSVP Friday, April 21st, 9:30am - 11:00am.
FREE California Phones & Hearing Screening
Tuesday, April 18th, 10:00am to Noon
Do you know the ABCs of Medicare?
Attend Anthem Blue Cross seminar and learn about Medical Advantage plans and benefits that are available to you. This seminar will be informative, engaging and it's free! You can even bring friends. There is no obligation to enroll in a plan if you attend. Call Peter Carrion today at 844-604-8974 today to reserve your seat! Plus, you can learn more about their monthly SilverSneakers membership at no additional costs!
AARP Smart Driver Course
Take the AARP Smart Driver Course and you could reduce your overall maintenance and care insurance costs! You must call the center to pre-register for this class as limited seats are available for each workshop course. $20 course fee for AARP members; $25 for non-AARP members. Cash is the only form of payment taken and due on the day of the class. Call the front desk to pre-register at 760-340-3220.
Offered the 1st Friday of Every Month - 9:00AM - 5:00PM (8 hours)
AARP Smart Driver Refresher Course
A 4 Hours Refresher course if offered on the - 3rd Thursday of Every Month at 12:00PM - 4:30PM (This course is for graduates of the 8 hour course the AARP Smart Driver Course must have been completed within the past 3 years, in order to maintain their auto insurance discount). Call Mary Francis at 760-408-6286 for additional information.
Computer Classes- Apple Ipad Beginner and Intermediate: Computer and I Pad classes are taught by Cassandra Beegle of iTT Consulting. Class sizes are limited for optimal learning. Pre-registration is required. Contact Cassandra at 760-537-1728 for upcoming class times and fees.
- Mah Jongg Lessons - Are you ready to try something new and keep your brain stimulated? Mah Jongg may be just what you are looking for! Lessons are hands-on, learning from each other's play as well as your own. Lessons are $10 each for Joslyn Members; $15 each for guests. Call Madeline at 760-341-1909 for questions.
- Silver Sneaker card holders- Free "Yoga for Health"on Thursday!
Offered on Thursdays only, 8:30-9:15 AM. Please bring your insurance card with you at check in.
- Free Blood Pressure Screening! Offered Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 AM in the library. No appointment necessary.
- Free Editorial Services! Annabelle Townson, author, educator and editor, offers one-on-one service to Joslyn members who have a current unpublished manuscript. Call for a one hour appointment at the Joslyn Center to review your writing goals, including an initial discussion of your manuscript -760-360-0316.
- Free Lending Library! Located off our main lobby- choose from a wide assortment of books, magazines, and videos.
- Free Notary Service! Free forms include Advance Healthcare Directive and Power of Attorney. Notary Service at no charge for Joslyn Members call Myleen Curtain at 760-567-3105.
- Free Medicare HICAP Counseling-Appointments are available on Tuesdays or Thursdays for Joslyn Members. Call the front desk to make your appointment - 760-340-3220.
- Free California Phones & Hearing Screening- Special California phones are FREE to eligible Californians. No appointment is necessary for the hearing screening. For more information and an application call 1-800-806-1191. This free service is provided by California Telephone Access Program (CTAP) and Connect Hearing.
- ACBL Sanctioned Bridge- Something Different...Join the team for ACBL sanctioned, duplicate bridge with a country club flair! Offered at the center on Mondays and Thursdays with check in starting at 12:00 pm and game play beginning at 12:30 pm. All players must call reserve their space as there is limited seating. Call BJ Moses at 760-933-8830 or email to email@example.com . All players must be Joslyn Center members.
- Casino Style Bingo - Mondays 12:30 PM to 3:00 PM. $15 Buy-In. The more people who play, the larger the cash payouts. Drinks and popcorn are provided. The Ice Cream Social is provided by Senior Advocates of the Desert, Desert Oasis Healthcare Medial Group, and SCAN Health Plans.
- Beginning Tai Chi & Longevity Stick- Looking for a great way to work on your balance and stress relief? Try Tai Chi! Instructor Dixie Lee Lohoff offers a beginners level Tai Chi class each Wednesday morning at 10:00 am. Tai Chi is recommended by many doctors. Longevity is done with a stick, your height and exercises created for the entire body - this method was introduced by Master Mai Bac Dau, 100 years old and still teaching in Orange County along with many members of his family. Tai Chi's qualities are balance, deep breathing, and stress relief. See Dixie- first lesson is free!
- Joslyn Singers- Did you know The Joslyn Center has its very own singing group? We are a group of senior citizens who love to get together and sing. We love singing and it's good for us. It helps our breathing and general well-being and we love the camaraderie generated in the group. Apart from our personal enjoyment, we go out to assisted living facilities and other venues and bring concerts in the Spring and at Christmas. For the past six years The Joslyn Singers has been featured during the Christmas season at the Rancho Mirage Library. Dues are $15 per month and a Joslyn Membership is required. For more information call Eva Myers at 760-200-0903.
- I Pad and Computer Classes! Looking for a safe and supportive environment to learn more about your computer or I Pad? Look no further than the Joslyn Center! Computer and I Pad classes are held on the Joslyn Center campus. To Reserve your space call instructor, Cassandra Beegle, at 760-537-1728.
- Chess and Backgammon Club- Groups now forming! Call for more information!