Special Events, Programs and More!
In addition to our weekly clubs, classes and programs The Joslyn Center has great special offers and events!
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS: Open to Everyone!
Morning with the Mayor
First Tuesday of Every Month, 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Happy Birthday Celebration
First Friday of Every Month, 11:00 am
Come join us celebrate the month of Birthdays. Cake provided by Bilhartz Desert Insurance Agency.
Your're Invited to an Ice Cream Social!
2nd Tuesday of Every Month, 11:00 am provided by Humana
Join Desert Regional Medical Center for our Free on going health seminars:
Why Diabetes Affect the Foot; And What to Do About It Do you or a loved one have diabetes? If so, you may know that diabetes isn't just about blood sugar - it can have major health effects on your feet and ankles. In some cases, it can even make you immobile or lead to amputation. Join Dr. Jackson Crough, a podiatric surgeon, for a fascinating lecture about how diabetes affects the foot - and what can be done to keep you and your loved ones moving. Call 800-491-4990 to RSVP Wednesday, June 14th, 10:00am - 11:00am
WORLD ELDER ABUSE AWARENESS DAY
Thursday, June 15th, 9:00am - 10:30am
Please join the Joslyn Center and our panel discussion with Adult Protective Services, C.A.R.E., Palm Desert Sheriff Community Service Officer, Attorney Eric Rudolph, Riverside County Office on Aging, Jewish Family Services and Bob Elias of The Joslyn Center. Light Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP to 760-340-3220
Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor
The Auen Foundation
FREE California Phones & Hearing Screening
Wednesday, June 21st, 10:00 am to Noon
Computer Classes- Apple Ipad Beginner and Intermediate: IPad classes are taught by Cassandra Beegle of iTT Consulting. Class sizes are limited for optimal learning. Pre-registration is required. Contact Cassandra at 760-537-1728 for upcoming class times and fees.
- Silver Sneaker card holders- Free "Yoga for Health"on Thursday!
Offered on Thursdays only, 8:30-9:15 AM. Please bring your insurance card with you at check in.
- Free Blood Pressure Screening! Offered Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 AM in the library. No appointment necessary.
- Free Editorial Services! Annabelle Townson, author, educator and editor, offers one-on-one service to Joslyn members who have a current unpublished manuscript. Call for a one hour appointment at the Joslyn Center to review your writing goals, including an initial discussion of your manuscript -760-360-0316.
- Free Lending Library! Located off our main lobby- choose from a wide assortment of books, magazines, and videos.
- Free Notary Service! Free forms include Advance Healthcare Directive and Power of Attorney. Notary Service at no charge for Joslyn Members call Myleen Curtain at 760-567-3105.
- Free Medicare HICAP Counseling-Appointments are available on Tuesdays or Thursdays for Joslyn Members. Call the front desk to make your appointment - 760-340-3220.
- Free California Phones & Hearing Screening- Special California phones are FREE to eligible Californians. No appointment is necessary for the hearing screening. For more information and an application call 1-800-806-1191. This free service is provided by California Telephone Access Program (CTAP) and Connect Hearing.
- ACBL Sanctioned Bridge- Something Different...Join the team for ACBL sanctioned, duplicate bridge with a country club flair! Offered at the center on Mondays and Thursdays with check in starting at 12:00 pm and game play beginning at 12:30 pm. All players must call reserve their space as there is limited seating. Call BJ Moses at 760-933-8830 or email to email@example.com . All players must be Joslyn Center members.
- Casino Style Bingo - Mondays 12:30 PM to 3:00 PM. $15 Buy-In. The more people who play, the larger the cash payouts. Drinks and popcorn are provided. The Ice Cream Social is provided by Senior Advocates of the Desert, Desert Oasis Healthcare Medial Group, and SCAN Health Plans.
- Beginning Tai Chi & Longevity Stick- Looking for a great way to work on your balance and stress relief? Try Tai Chi! Instructor Dixie Lee Lohoff offers a beginners level Tai Chi class each Wednesday morning at 10:00 am. Tai Chi is recommended by many doctors. Longevity is done with a stick, your height and exercises created for the entire body - this method was introduced by Master Mai Bac Dau, 100 years old and still teaching in Orange County along with many members of his family. Tai Chi's qualities are balance, deep breathing, and stress relief. See Dixie- first lesson is free!
Interested in new Activities or Classes? Sign Up Now for Interest List for Fall Classes or call Front Desk 760-340-3220
- Dance For Parkinsons - a 45 minute class encompassing movement and music for people with neuromuscular disease.
- Mat Pilates for "Sensitive Seniors" - Pilates provides a fantastic opporutnity to strengthen the body to levels far beyond previous levels of wellness. Participants should be willing to work on a floor mat. Training will be provided in getting down safely and getting back up without strain or pain.