Senior Advocates of the DesertAdd to Calendar
Every month on the third Wednesday beginning September 20, 2017 10:00 AM
Call the front desk (760) 340-3220 to make your appointment today.
Benefit AdvocacyMany of their clients live alone and have little family and social support. They are not aware of programs they may be eligible for or if they are, they have tried to apply on their own, but have been turned down because of onerous government bureaucracy. As a result, many have just given up. They meet one-on-one with their clients 1st and 3rd Wednesday or every month and assist them in applying for the following government programs:
• Medi-Cal –Medi-Cal fills in the gaps not covered by Medicare. Clients are often unaware of the eligibility criteria for Medi-Cal and therefore never apply, resulting in much greater out of pocket costs for medical care. Some clients are kicked off Medi-Cal improperly and need an advocate to assist them in getting their Medi-Cal reinstated.
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is an income supplement for seniors who have little or on income. Clients are often not aware they are eligible for SSI. We assist clients in the application process and assist those clients on SSI who need assistance when being reevaluated for SSI.
• Medicare –Some clients need assistance with applying for Medicare premium payment programs as well as assistance in understanding their options with respect to traditional Medicare, Medicare supplemental policies or a Medicare Advantage Plan (e.g., Medicare HMO).
• In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) – IHHS provides free in home help to seniors who have Medi-Cal and need help to stay in their home safely. Like Medi-Cal, clients are often unaware of IHSS and need assistance in the application process or once on IHSS need assistance and advocacy when they are not approved for an adequate number of hours of help.
• Veterans Benefits – Clients are often unaware they may be entitled to veterans benefits and need information and assistance in the application process.
• Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) –Some clients suffering from a disability apply for early social security retirement benefits at age 62 instead of applying for SSDI, which would provide a greater income and Medicare insurance.
• Social Security Retirement Benefits – Clients are sometimes faced with unexpected hurdles when applying for Social Security Retirement if they cannot provide the documentation requested by the Social Security Administration.
In addition to the above, Senior Advocates gives information and assistance regarding transportation programs, discount utility programs, subsidized senior housing, landlord tenant issues, garnishment, and collections disputes, among others.
Emergency Financial Assistance
Limited funds are available to qualifying low-income seniors who through no fault of their own find themselves in a crisis. Thanks to generosity of several corporations and foundations, Senior Advocates is able to provide one-time financial assistance in a variety of situations, such as avoiding eviction, emergency home repair, or out of pocket medical expenses.
The program is limited and based on need and available funds only to qualifying low-income seniors. All assistance is offered in the context of meeting with a staff member of Senior Advocates.